Here are some Christmas activities to help your students become familiar with the seasonal vocabulary. I often play Jeopardy with my students in their last class of the year so you might want to consider that too.
- 2018 News Quiz – arranged as Jeopardy cards but you could do it as a straight quiz too.
- Christmas scatter sheet (pdf) and exercises (see how to use scatter sheets for more information)
- Xmas pics (zip) for photo taboo
- Christmas conversation questions (pdf) – from our bank of ESL conversation questions
- Christmas Collaborative Crossword – a fun Christmas themed pairwork activity for lower level students.
New Year activities
The end of the year is a great time for practising future tenses. I like to get my students to make new year’s resolutions using going to + verb, you could always tie this in with the fortune telling game. Present Continuous as future form also lends itself to talking about fixed plans for the Christmas / winter holiday.
- End of year review questions (pdf) – mixed tense questions
- End of year review activity for teens (pdf)
Christmas activities from other sources
- Alex Case has a great list of Christmas related activities at Tefltastic including the Xmas Party Negotiation Game.
- Nice, short video on YouTube – The Man That Celebrates Christmas Every Day!
- Here is a useful article about Christmas traditions in different countries – Top 10 Things Everyone Else Does At Christmas
- From The Daily Telegraph The 50 Worst Christmas Cracker Jokes